Backend Engineer (Java)
Our mission is to bring blockchain to a billion people. The Alchemy Platform is a world class developer platform designed to make building on the blockchain easy. We’ve built leading infrastructure in the space, powering over $105 billion in transactions for tens of millions of users in 99% of countries worldwide.
The Alchemy team draws from decades of deep expertise in massively scalable infrastructure, AI, and blockchain from leadership roles at leading companies and universities like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Stanford, and MIT.
Alchemy recently raised a Series C1 at a $10.2B valuation led by Lightspeed and Silver Lake. Previously, Alchemy raised from a16z, Coatue, Addition, Stanford University, Coinbase, the Chairman of Google, Charles Schwab, and the founders and executives of leading organizations.
Alchemy powers the top blockchain companies globally and has been featured in TechCrunch, Forbes, Bloomberg, and elsewhere.
We pride ourselves in development best practices at Alchemy. As such, we’ve been migrating much of our legacy codebase to – and writing all of our new codebase in – state of the art Java. As an engineer focused on Java development at Alchemy, you’ll be engaging with with one of the most sophisticated and high-throughput distributed systems in the blockchain world. You’ll focus on guiding engineers who are building out Java services and assist with tooling and infrastructure to ensure fast, healthy builds and low developer overhead.
- Build upon and co-own existing Java best practices including those focused on Micronaut and Gradle
- Optimize existing Java services for throughput and resource usage
- Design, build and maintain highly scalable and reliable infrastructure, APIs, and services
- Contribute and lead system design discussions, stand up meetings, and code reviews
- Develop and own best practices for backend infrastructure with a focus on high throughput, high reliability, and low latency
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Collaborate with other engineers, PMs, and designers
What We’re Looking For:
- 6+ years of relevant industry experience
- Expertise in scalable Java development, experience with Micronaut and Gradle preferred
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience profiling and optimizing JVM services
- Experience designing, building, scaling and maintaining core backend software components (experience with API platforms a plus)
- Ability to solve complex design, scaling, latency, or performance problems in high-throughput, low-latency systems
- Experience with AWS technologies is a plus
- Experience with production distributed systems, web applications, and microservice architecture
- Proven track record building highly available and highly scalable systems
- Self-starter attitude and the ability to execute new ideas with autonomy
- Know how to find the right balance between perfection and shipping quickly
- Passion for blockchain technologies a plus
- Web3 experience, a plus
- Founded a company or built side projects, a plus
- Experience in startups, a plus