Backend Engineer – Senior
Zumo is the FCA registered, blockchain-powered digital asset partner for individuals and institutions.
Zumo App, our consumer crypto wallet, allows individuals to exchange, store, send and spend cryptocurrency alongside their ordinary money.
Zumo Enterprise, our B2B crypto-as-a-service platform, helps banks and financial institutions to roll out compliant and ESG-aligned crypto products.
Guided by the principles of sustainability, security and customer empowerment, Zumo provides simple and secure technologies to unlock the benefits of crypto and web3.
We’re on a mission to bring the benefits of digital currencies to people and businesses everywhere through sustainable and responsible growth.
We believe in a career-defining experience for our people, and we’re looking for individuals who share our values to join us on the journey to build a better financial future.
About the role
We are looking for a senior backend engineer to help our product evolve and scale to meet growing customers’ needs.
You’ll be surrounded by incredibly passionate, talented and dedicated people, who all have a say in what we build and how we build it. We encourage proactivity, embrace creative problem solving and drive for improvement.
We strive to build empowered, cross-functional product teams, supported by agile principles and fueled by the passion to build outstanding products to support our mission.
Our products are built on microservice architecture to enable the rapid, frequent and reliable delivery of features, whilst applying software development best practices and design patterns, to ensure our code is maintainable, reusable, scalable and secure.
As part of your role, you will be responsible for code quality and reliability, supported by regular code reviews, tech peer discussions and automated testing infrastructure.
Beside your day to day responsibilities, you will contribute to decisions about the most suitable tech stack to achieve the desired outcomes, but here’s our current baseline: TypeScript, Node.js, PHP using Symfony (tech debt 😕), React Native, Swift, Objective-C, Java, PostgreSQL. The product runs on AWS cloud, and the Kubernetes cluster orchestrates it.
£75,000 – 85,000 depending on experience
- You are a passionate software engineer with 5+ years of experience who can work collaboratively with other experts to solve complex business challenges.
- You have been part of a successful start-up to scale-up journey within the fintech, regtech or healthtech arena.
- You have financial services or payments industry experience (not a must but a plus)
- You have expertise with Typescript and Node.js.
- You have experience with PHP and Symfony or Laravel.
- You have experience with AWS services.
- You have experience with microservice architecture.
- You are familiar or keen to work with blockchain and other web3 protocols.
- You are a great problem solver and good communicator who takes pride in their work.
- You are comfortable with the unknown and you love to experiment and learn.
- You are a team player who believes the most incredible things are achieved as a team.
- You have a genuine desire to build an outstanding product for our customers.
- You have a sense of empathy for users, customers, teammates and colleagues.
- You are passionate about technology and keen to experiment and innovate.
Zumo’s internal mission is to create an environment where you can create the best work of your career. In order to do that, we offer:
- A remote first hybrid work environment – Everyone does their best work in different environments. We operate as a remote first hybrid team, giving you the flexibility to work wherever suits you best.
- Professional development – We focus on fostering a culture of learning, curiosity and ongoing professional development.
- Pension – We give you flexibility to opt in to our voluntary company pension scheme.
- Unlimited holiday – Having plentiful “off the grid” time is key to doing your best work. We offer flexible time off. Take time when you need it and receive a £500 bonus when you take five or more consecutive days off.
- At Zumo, we believe in the strength that difference brings to our business, our culture, and our community. We value the opinions and experiences of all our colleagues and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
- Zumo is accessible to everyone, everywhere
- We believe that the benefits of crypto and blockchain are for everyone
- Our decision-making is founded on the balance between people, profit and planet
- The technology that we build has usability and security at its core
- We seek to make the complex simple
- We don’t use jargon
- We bring our A game to work every day
- We believe that great productivity comes from a tranquil environment
- We give feedback in a respectful way
Love the adventure
- We don’t take the easy path unless it’s the right one
- We’re constantly exploring to find the best way
- We accept failure as part of the road to success
Towards a sustainable world
When it comes to crypto, we don’t believe progress should come at the cost of the environment. As the sector develops and matures at unparalleled pace, we have the perfect opportunity to ensure we develop products and behaviours that will help the future of the planet. And we believe we can play our part in demystifying the information surrounding digital assets and their impact on the climate, helping everyone to understand, assess and contribute to the decarbonisation of the industry. Find out more about our net zero strategy, partnerships, environmental pledge and work to decarbonise the sector on our webpage.Apply Now