Senior Backend Engineer
Interested in working on cutting-edge blockchain technology and creating equitable access to the global financial system? Since 2014, the mission-driven team at the Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) has helped fuel the tremendous growth of the Stellar blockchain network, an open-source platform that operates at high-scale today. Developers and companies around the world build on it, and the SDF team is expanding to support the rapidly growing and changing Stellar ecosystem.
We are looking for talented, experienced, and hands-on backend software engineers to join our Product Engineering team to build features, design and implement APIs, and improve the performance and reliability of our network products and services as we rapidly scale with our partner organizations.
In this position, you will play a significant role in designing and implementing innovative blockchain products at scale to enable the success of our network. SDF’s global partners are some of the most innovative software and financial companies! You will have the opportunity to work on products that help our partners solve a wide variety of problems that help to increase adoption of blockchain technologies. Your work will go far to help unlock the world’s economic potential through fiat-to-digital on/off ramps and new payment onboarding services world wide.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, interdisciplinary team-player. As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will leverage your technical expertise to architect and develop solutions, address and resolve distributed systems scalability and reliability challenges and remove obstacles to our partners’ success. You will communicate learnings and define product requirements internally to help improve the SDF’s ecosystem of products and standards as they evolve in a rapidly changing landscape.
In this role, you will:
- Lead architecture, planning, and development of products and features in collaboration with teammates
- Develop and release high quality blockchain-based applications and services at scale on Stellar
- Work with other disciplines such as Ops and SRE to ensure high quality delivery of software
- Offer improvements to and help ensure the team adheres to high engineering standards
- Be an advocate for partners and the open source community by keeping their needs front and center
- Estimate timelines for tasks and effectively manage projects to completion
- Proficiency with building distributed online microservices using Java, Go or similar
- DevOps experience building and operating scalable online services
- GCP, AWS, or Azure
- Kubernetes, Helm
- Infrastructure as Code using Terraform or AWS Cloud Formation
- CI/CD pipeline experience with Jenkins, Github actions, or similar
- Implementing observability with logging and metrics using Prometheus, Grafana or similar
- A strong understanding of the software development lifecycle
- Strong communication skills
You might also:
- Be fluent in C++, Python or similar popular languages
- Have proficiency in at least one SQL or NoSQL database technology such as Postgres, MongoDB, DynamoDB, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, or Redis
- Have experience with Java Spring Framework, Kafka, Kotlin Framework
- Have experience enabling observability of distributed systems through infrastructure and application metrics with logging and time-series metrics monitoring tools such as Kibana, New Relic, Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana, or Open Telemetry
- Have experience with blockchain networks, and understand the fundamentals of these systems
- Author detailed technical protocol specifications – we take design seriously, and we encourage everyone to be a part of the development of our technical ecosystem standards.
- Be an open source project contributor
We offer competitive pay with a base salary range for this position of $160,000 – $210,000 depending on job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and location. In addition, we offer lumen-denominated grants along with the following perks and benefits:
- Competitive health, dental & vision coverage
- Flexible time off + 15 company holidays including a company-wide holiday break
- Paid parental leave
- Life & ADD
- Short & Long term disability
- FSA & Dependent Care Accounts
- 401K (4% match)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly gym allowance
- Daily lunch and snacks in-office
- L&D budget of $1,500/year
- Company retreats
Stellar is a decentralized, fast, scalable, and uniquely sustainable network for financial products and services. It is both a cross-currency transaction system and a platform for digital asset issuance, designed to connect the world’s financial infrastructure. Dozens of financial institutions worldwide issue assets and settle payments on the Stellar network, which has grown to over 4 million accounts.
About the Stellar Development Foundation
The Stellar Development Foundation (SDF) is a non-profit organization that supports the development and growth of Stellar, an open-source network that connects the world’s financial infrastructure. Founded in 2014, the Foundation helps maintain Stellar’s codebase, supports the technical and business communities building on the network, and serves as a voice to regulators and institutions. The Foundation seeks to create equitable access to the global financial system, using the Stellar network to unlock the world’s economic potential through blockchain technology.
We look forward to hearing from you!
SDF is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. SDF does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.Apply Now
$160,000 - $210,000
San Francisco, California, United States
10 November 2022Apply Now
It would be amazing if you let Stellar Development Foundation know you found the job here!
No downloads should be needed during the application, stay vigilant to scams.