Senior Data Scientist
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Data Science is an integral component of Coinbase’s product and decision making process: we work in partnership with Product, Engineering and Design to influence the roadmap and better understand our users. With a deep expertise in experimentation, analytics and advanced modeling, we produce insights which directly move the company’s bottom line.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Act as a strategic partner to functional teams: initiate and execute deep analyses and models to prioritize opportunities and provide actionable recommendations.
- Design and guide experiments/analysis to measure impact and drive product improvements.
- Measure business performance, develop / refine core metrics and create reporting to understand and monitor them.
- Synthesize data learnings into compelling stories and communicate them throughout Coinbase and to senior executives.
- Conduct deep dives to help solve complex problems to drive impact for our business.
- Initiate, develop, and maintain data pipelines with outstanding craftsmanship.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- BA / BS degree in a quantitative field (ex Math, Stats, Physics, or Computer Science) with 5+ years relevant experience, or or PhD degree in a related field with + 2 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to independently create plans for projects and a track record of overseeing large / complex analytical projects spanning multiple teams.
- Understanding of statistical concepts and practical experience applying them (in A|B testing, causal inference, ML, etc.).
- Experience in data analyses using SQL.
- Experience in at least one programming language (preferably Python).
- Demonstration of our core cultural values: clear communication, positive energy, continuous learning, and efficient execution.
Nice to haves:
Data engineering skills + a willingness to do lower level work to improve data foundations as needed.
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range as detailed below. Full time offers from Coinbase also include target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.Apply Now