Software Engineering Manager
At R3 we’re planning to change the world. You will be working at the cutting edge of permissioned blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) as it transforms the future of business.
Corda is a DLT platform designed for running complex workflows between businesses, without any centralized points of control. Designed for the needs of financial markets infrastructures, it’s trusted by banks, stock exchanges, insurance companies, payments companies, and others to deliver hugely reliable and scalable systems.
You will be responsible for managing one of our Corda Platform engineering teams, ensuring we have the right strategy, people, skills, architecture, and technology to deliver the Corda of the future – a distributed ledger with huge throughput, reliability and uptime guarantees for the most demanding of R3 customers, and networks of customers.. You will also take responsibility for the quality and delivery within your domain, plus help grow and mentor the software engineers within your team.
Key Responsibilities (What Will I Do Most Often?)
- Line manage your team, ensuring each engineer has the support and guidance needed to grow their career at R3.
- Own the delivery of key milestones in your domain, liaising with our Product team to ensure we produce a roadmap of key deliverables, reporting on progress towards agreed delivery dates you will help set.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and your sister teams to ensure we deliver Corda as one collective team.
- Contribute towards your team’s technical delivery by developing software, writing & reviewing designs, code reviewing, and ensuring our software is acceptable for hands-on use.
- Engage in R3’s hiring to ensure we have high calibre talent to build our software.
- Encourage a culture of ownership in which your engineers feel empowered to make design choices, learn from successes and failures, and always seek to build better and more capable new versions of software.
Other Responsibilities (What Will I Do Sometimes?)
- Jointly plan the product roadmap with colleagues in the Product Management, QA, and Engineering Services teams. This may involve occasional travel between our Dublin and London offices.
- Represent your team during cross-team alignments, retrospectives, and technical discussion forums.
- Present and discuss the work of your team with R3 stakeholders.
Essential Skills (What Do I Need To Do The Job?)
- You have a solid technical background and understand the journey your team is on. They know you’ve walked in their shoes in the past.
- You are able to design and develop enterprise-level software. We develop in Java and Kotlin, plus utilise cloud technologies, such as AWS, to deliver Corda – although these are not mandatory to have, you may be interested in working with these technologies.
- You have working in domains where high-availability and performance matters.
- You have seen how to get the best from people, how things can go wrong, and know the difference.
- You are a passionate line manager who cares about people, and helping them achieve their best results.
- You care about quality, and engineering agility, and have a desire to provide the best possible products and capabilities for our customers.
- You are calm and a reassuring leader, even under pressure.
- You have great communication skills and are a confident presenter.